Report any gender-based violence related incidents to the following numbers | 021 959 6550 | 021 959 6301 | 060 980 0286

News
Wednesday, 06 November 2019

First woman driver appointed

To all the young women out there: never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams.

Monday, 16 September 2019

Innovative lecturer making waves

An innovative lecturer with a passion for her craft has been selected as a finalist in the 2019 International e-Learning Excellence Awards.

With cyber criminals becoming increasingly brazen, the CTS Department is launching a new cyber security awareness programme for staff members this month.

Associate Prof Glenda Davison has been appointed as the new Head of the Biomedical Sciences Department.

Davison, who joined the Department as a senior lecturer in 2006, takes over the reins from Prof Tandi Matsha, who was awarded the National Research Foundation’s SARChI Research Chair in Cardiometabolic Health last year.

“It’s been an adventure so far,” said Davison whose focus area is Haematology.
“I’m so fortunate that we have brilliant staff here in the Department who are as enthusiastic as I am and always willing to go the extra mile.”

Davison is passionate about ensuring that the Department produces graduates that are in touch with society’s needs.
“When our students graduate we want them to be sensitive to the unique needs of South Africa. They must be empathetic and understand the inequalities in the country and be in tune with communities. I want to ensure an inclusive environment where we pay attention to the issues facing this country.”

One of her main goals will be to increase the Department’s connections with laboratories.
“I would really like to strengthen the links with private and public laboratories here in the Cape, with other universities that have research laboratories as well as with laboratories outside the Cape, including in rural areas.”

Davison, who is an honorary lecturer at UCT, said her career highlights include her promotion to Associate Prof in 2017 and receiving her NRF rating last year.
In 2011 she received the BridgeMohan award for her research contribution to Haematology.
“Graduations are always my biggest highlight. I love seeing the joy on the students’ faces and the parents’ excitement and to know that we made a difference.”

Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Teaching and Learning at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Prof Anthony Staak, is retiring from the institution after 36 years.

Wednesday, 19 December 2018

Teaching excellence awarded

The teaching excellence of a lecturer who strives to get more matric learners from disadvantaged backgrounds into university was acknowledged during a recent awards ceremony.

Sunday, 09 December 2018

The Gift of Giving

Growing up Mustafa Zalgaonker would often hear his mother say: “the giving hand is better than the receiving hand.”

Page 1 of 17